Sandusky, OH Pomeroy Anvil Monument
Installed June 2006, the monument is located in Oakland Cemetery, Sandusky, OH
The Sandusky Monument traces the Pomeroy Family in America from its progenitor, Eltweed Pomeroy down to Bill Pomeroy and follows the movement of Bill Pomeroy's ancestors from Pompey, NY to Sandusky, OH in the early 19th century.
The Pomeroy Anvil is symbolic to the Pomeroy family in America. First given
to Medad Pomeroy by the town of Northampton, Massachusetts in 1660, it was
passed down through many generations of Pomeroy blacksmiths and gunsmiths.
This replica anvil is dedicated to all the descendants of
Eltweed Pomeroy, who was born in
Devonshire, England, and immigrated to
Dorchester, Massachusetts about 1630.
Eltweed 1585 - 1673
Deacon Medad 1638 - 1716
Hon. Maj. Ebenezer 1669 - 1754
Lieut. Daniel 1709 - 1755
Pliny 1734 - 1804
Spencer 1781 - 1833
Francis W. 1807 - 1881
Francis Austin 1846 - 1932
Edwin Guilford 1886 - 1970
William Guilford 1913 - 1989
William Guilford Jr. 1944 -
Francis W. Pomeroy, born in Pompey, New York, settled in Sandusky
about 1841 with his wife Matilda Brown, where they raised five children:
Mary Ann 1839-1882 Julia 1841- Edwin C. 1843-1864
Francis A. 1846-1932 Charles M. 1849-1923
Francis W. Pomeroy purchased this 16 grave family plot to re-inter, in 1865, his son Edwin,
who died in Chattanooga from wounds received Jun 21 1864 near Kennesaw Mountain.