Westhampton, MA Pomeroy Anvil Monument
Bill Pomeroy spoke at the October 21, 2007 dedication of the Westhampton monument. Members of the Westhampton Historical Commission attended dressed in period uniforms.
The Westhampton Monument commemorates two sons of Daniel Pomeroy who settled in Westhampton. Pliny Pomeroy was a cooper who lived on what is now known as
Hooker Road, and Timothy Pomeroy ran a tavern near the lead mines and was one of Westhampton's earliest settlers.
The monument will be constructed of black granite and will stand 5' 8" high,
and weighs over 6.5 tons.
In 1660 Medad Pomeroy accepted an offer of tools,
an anvil shaped like this replica, and land in exchange
for opening a blacksmith shop in Northampton, MA.
That anvil passed through many generations of Pomeroy
blacksmiths and gunsmiths, becoming a symbol of the family.
Medad’s lands on Hooker Rd. and the area east of the
intersection of Mine Rd. and Main Rd. in Westhampton
were later inherited by his great grandsons,
Pliny and Timothy Pomeroy.
Pliny, a cooper by trade, settled on Hooker Rd. 1.3 miles
northeast of this site, by 1785. A member of the Church
of Christ, Pliny opened his house for religious worship
led by Nathan Hale’s brother, the Rev. Enoch Hale.
Timothy, known as “Old Staghorn,” settled in 1767
and owned a tavern near Ethan Allen’s lead mines.
Both brothers were Revolutionary War veterans. Pliny
was a Minuteman in Capt. Jonathan Allen’s Company
of Gen. Seth Pomeroy’s Regiment that answered the
alarm of April 19, 1775, the opening battle of the
American Revolution. Timothy served as a Corporal in
Capt. John Kirkland’s company of Col. Ruggles Woodbridge’s Regiment.
Brigadier General Seth Pomeroy was the uncle of Pliny and Timothy Pomeroy
Erected in 2007 by William Guilford Pomeroy, Jr.
4th Great Grandson of Pliny Pomeroy
Eltweed ca 1585-1673
Emigrated from England ca 1630, founded first American branch of Pomeroy family
Deacon Medad 1638-1716
Third son of Eltweed, founded Northampton branch of Pomeroy family
Hon. Maj. Ebenezer 1669-1754
Third son of Medad, King's Attorney and High Sheriff of Hampshire
Lt. Daniel 1709-1755
Son of Ebenezer, owned the Red Tavern in Northampton,
died at Bloody Morning Scout, Lake George, NY
Only child of Lt. Daniel and Mary Clapp
Col. Timothy 1742-1802
Second son of Lt. Daniel and Rachel Moseley
Children of Pliny Pomeroy and Sarah L. Allen*
Pliny, Jr 1758-1798 Gaius 1760-1824
Elisha 1762-1763 Mary 1764-
Elisha 1766-1767 Julius 1769-1791
Sarah 1773-1803 Nancy* 1776-1826
Spencer* 1780-1833 Charlotte* 1780-1809
Children of Col. Timothy Pomeroy and Ann Ashley
Francis* 1767-1836 Timothy 1768- Ebenezer 1771-1792
Anna* 1773-1860 Oliver* 1775- Susannah 1777-1864
Thankful* 1779-1860 Louisa* 1781-1860
* Pioneer settlers of Central New York. They were among the first Pomeroys
to migrate from New England westward beginning in the late 18th Century.
The Pomeroy Anvil Trail commemorates the westward migration
of the American people through the movement of the Pomeroy family.
The Westhampton Pomeroy Anvil Monument is located at the
Blacksmith Shop Museum
5 Stage Rd, Westhampton, MA